Motorcycle Touring Gear for the Open Road
Cold-weather riders, rejoice. Here are 10 ways to stick it to Mother Nature this winter.
Price and availability confirmed at time of publication. Subject to change, please visit the product website for the latest prices and availability.
1. Powerlet sockets kits are designed to handle the demands of heated apparel while withstanding the elements. The kits come with custom brackets of varying sizes and colors coupled with heavy duty wiring harnesses to ensure a correct fit. Price: $24.95 and up. More info: www.powerlet.net.
2. Hot Grips manufactures nine different models of heated grips for motorcycles, with options such as handlebar-mounted switch controls as well as fairing-mounted controls with variable heat. Price: $66 to $110. More info: www.hotgrips.com.
3. A drawback to traditional electric vests is that the fit needs to be closely tailored to get the heating elements close to the body. The Aerostich Kanetsu AirVantage Vest’s adjustable insert not only allows for a roomier fit but increases warmth. Removeable sleeves are a nice touch. Price: $237. More info: www.aerostich.com.
4. Gerbing’s Heated Gloves warm the entire length of each finger as well as the back of the hand. The shell is leather, and the lining provides breathable protection from wind and water. Price: $139. More info: www.gerbing.com.
5. Red Wing Shoes’ Model 970 boots were specifically designed for motorcyclists. High-grade leather and high-top construction provide excellent strength and weather protection. Price: $165. More info: www.redwingshoes.com.
6. Lectric-chaps from Widder offer seven elastic/Velcro straps to make the heating element conform to individual riders’ leg dimensions. Their lightweight design enables them to be worn under pants, leathers or a riding suit. A windproof polyester exterior and Tinsulate liner minimize bulk for storage. Price: $101.99. More info: www.widder.com.
7. Combine the union suit with the space shuttle, and you get Thermo-Gear Premier. Thermo-Gear resists stains better than other polyester fabrics, is machine washable and features channel knit constuction for optimal wicking. Price: $25 top, $25 bottom. More info: www.aerostich.com.