1. Back in the November/December 2012 issue (the last time we covered rain suits, if you’re keeping track) we said the Joe Rocket RS-2 “might be the best deal going in motorcycle rain suits today.” And nearly three years later, we still feel the same way. Now available in an updated high-visibility neon green for the jacket, this suit features a polyester outer shell with a PVC backing plus a nylon comfort liner. A zippered back vent aides ventilation and the collar features corduroy lining for comfort. The two large outer pockets have waterproof Velcro rain flaps and it uses a full-length zipper with a Velcro rain flap and collar, plus an elastic waist and Velcro adjustable cuffs. The pants are made of the same materials, with added melt-resistant panels on the insides of each leg, plus elastic boot stirrups to keep the pants secured. A gusseted zipper runs all the way up to the knees for easier entry and exit. A stellar deal, this suit can be found online for less than $60 if you search a bit. Available in black, black/yellow, black/red, black/orange, or hi-viz neon in sizes S-3XL. Price: $69.95.
2. The Tourmaster Sentinel 2.0 jacket is made from waterproof but breathable rip-stop nylon with sealed seams and an under-the-helmet hood to keep water from leaking in at the collar. Three front pockets have hook-and-loop rain flaps and a fourth chest map pocket is mesh-lined to vent when open. Waterproof zippered underarm vents are a nice touch, as is a back vent to help move air. 3M Scotchlite reflective piping aides visibility, and the jacket has a self-contained pouch for storage. The Sentinel 2.0 pants are made of the same rip-stop nylon, but with an added available Nomex liner on the insides of the legs. There are waterproof, zippered hand pockets for storage, breathable stretch panels above the reinforced knees for comfort and heat-resistant leg panels. The high-rise rear panel includes a pant-to-jacket attachment zipper, and 3M Scotchlite reflective piping aides visibility. Extra-long zippered openings at the leg bottoms aide entry, but riders with large boots will want to remove them first. The pants also come with a storage bag. The jacket is available in black, blue, red and hi-viz yellow. The pants come only in black. Sizes XS-5XL. Price: $114.99 (jacket), $94.99 (pants).
3. The Mens Hi-Viz Rain Suit from Brooks Leather is a complete two-piece suit made using waterproof heat-sealed seam construction. We ordered our suit in the hi-viz color scheme, and brother, this jacket is bright! The jacket has inside and outside waterproof zippered pockets on the left chest, along with two hook-and-loop storm flap pockets on the front. Hook-and-loop straps provide adjustment at the waist and sleeves, and the soft collar fabric provides comfort. The fully mesh-lined pants have two pockets with hook-and-loop closure, and they feature heat-resistant leg panels to prevent damage from hot exhaust pipes. The leg bottoms have hook-and-loop expansion panels for easy on-off, although riders with large boots will want to remove them first. There are detachable stirrup loops at the ankles and reflective piping that runs down the outside of both legs. A waist drawstring keeps them tight, along with elastic at the waist. The suit comes complete with a storage bag. Available in black, orange or hi-viz in sizes S-3XL. Also available in women’s sizes. Price: $79.95.
4. The Alpinestars RJ-5 rain jacket is a simple, no-nonsense, pullover-style jacket. A half-length zipper on the front featuring a hook-and-loop rain flap keeps the rider dry, and it’s adjustable at the waist and neck. The huge waterproof front pocket — basically the entire stomach panel — doubles as a storage pouch, as the jacket folds into the pocket. There’s mesh lining for comfort, along with microfiber lining on the neck. We like its minimalist design, which makes it easy to put on quickly. The matching RP-5 rain pants feature the same mesh lining, an elastic waistband, a large cargo pocket on the right leg and zippered leg expansion ports at the bottoms of the legs to aid putting them on over boots, although as with most rain pants, riders with large boots will want to remove them first. Sizes S-3XL. Price: $64.95 (jacket), $54.95 (pants).
5. The Reflective Frogg Togg Kikker II suit feels like it’s made of traditional polyester, but instead is made of durable ToadSkinz fabric, which features a waterproof, breathable, micro-porous film combined with a non-woven inner layer. The jacket has a waterproof zippered chest pocket and hand-warmer pockets, reflective piping, an adjustable elastic waistband and adjustable neoprene cuff openings. A nice touch is a removable hood that folds out of the collar and features a drip-free visor. The pants are made of the same material, and feature an adjustable elastic waistband and quick-release buckle. Large reflective panels run down the outside of each leg and the oversized, zippered leg openings with Velcro rain flaps run all the way up to the reinforced knee, making the pants easy to get on and off over boots. Removable elastic spats keep the bottoms of the pant legs down in the wind and rain. We loved our first set of Frogg Toggs, and these are even better. The jacket is available in hi-vis green/black or black/hi-vis green, while the pants are only available in black. Sizes S-2X. Price: $69.95 (jacket), $59.95 (pants).
6. The All Weather Over Jacket from Oxford Products USA Inc. is a simple, lightweight, fully-lined rain jacket featuring fully taped seams with reflective piping on the arms, chest and back. There’s one waterproof inside chest pocket on the left, plus a lined soft collar and a drawstring waist. The waist and cuffs also have Velcro-adjustable straps. The All Weather Over Pants feature reflective piping down the outside of each leg, along with a comfort lining running from the waist to the knees. The waist is elastic and there are Velcro-adjustable cuffs at the ankles. The large leg gussets are zippered almost all the way up to your knees, making them fairly easy to get on and off with boots on. Both the jacket and pants are sized so that if you wear a size large riding jacket, a size large rain jacket will fit over the top. Both come in their own storage bag. Available in black or fluorescent green, sizes S-6XL. Price: $49.95 (jacket), $29.95 (pants).
Aerostich Ultralight Rain Pants
If you already ride with or have a waterproof jacket, then all you need is a set of over pants. While many of the suits here can be bought separately, if luggage space is especially tight, these Aerostich Ultralight Rain Pants are just the ticket. Recently updated, these pants are now made from a three-layer waterproof/breathable nylon that makes them more durable and better breathing than before. These pants are cut large at the waist, with an inner elastic drawstring to pull them tight to your waist. There’s a short waterproof zipper at the front, and the long, non-gusseted zippers on both legs that run nearly up to your knees make these among the easiest rain paints to get on and off with your boots on. The pants fold into an integrated pocket that’s just a little larger than a small paperback book and doubles as an interior storage packet. Simple, lightweight, tough and well designed. Sizes M-XL and long sizes. Price: $87.
- 1 year of Motorcycle Classics magazine both print and digital – six premium issues full of exciting and evocative articles and photographs of the most brilliant, unusual and popular motorcycles ever made!
- Special discounted prices on books, t-shirts, and archive products in the Motorcycle Classics Store
- Online access to Motorcycle Classics content dating back to 2005
- Access to exclusive online content - restoration projects, rides & destinations, and gear reviews.
Hello , your account does not have an active membership.
You'll need an active membership to continue reading. Please contact Customer Care at 1-800-880-7567 or visit Customer Care below.